Thursday, April 26, 2012

# 9: Corkscrew Sanctuary

This was my favorite field trip. I was 100% at peace in this environment. It was really something. I live off of Immokalee Rd. in Naples, and am regretful that I did not find out about this place sooner.

Walking through Florida swamp lands just truly amazes me. I still cannot get over the beauty of this environment. I love the cypress trees and was exposed further to the Alligator plant (don't recall the name), which was beautiful and huge. A couple of us spotted a spider that had some sort of glowing flourescent features on it: amazing.

When we came across a clearing in the trees to an enclosed area of water, I felt like I was peering into another world, watching the large birds as they carried on in their natural environment. It was so different than going to a zoo, where they are captive and their behavior is somewhat contrived, for lack of a better word, from the manmade environment. Zoos to me aren't real; this was nature like I'd never experienced. I didn't think it could get any better and all of a sudden there was an alligator in there with the birds. It was such an incredible sight, seeing these animals interact as if no one was watching. I was in a state of awe and happiness that continued as we walked along the path and saw another alligator just sunning in the water. This body of water was just surrounded by trees: one of the most awesome sites I've ever seen in Florida. Up until this point, I had never seen anything like this. I am so glad that I know I can go back to this spot anytime!

Another thing I loved about this trip was the clean air we learned that we were breathing in: loved it.

This was a great way to end this class, which I am so grateful to have taken. I have now seen Florida in a way so many others have yet to experience. There is truly more to this place than beaches and palm trees. There is real peace to be found here, beyond the relaxation those two things can provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment