Thursday, April 5, 2012

Journal Entry #6 ECHO

This field trip was interesting. I found it neat to see the way people accomplished such things as baking a cake, etc., using equipment that is certainly lacking, in modern times; yet, it gets the job done. The man showing us around seemed to know quite a bit about what he was doing, and I could tell he was interested in and passionate about conservation. I thought it was cool how old tires were used to grow plants, and even utilized for a staircase, as photographed below.

There were many neat plants to look at, such as sunflowers and a banana tree. The tour guide even let us taste the leaves off of one of them, though I don't recall the name of the plant. We even got to see bunnies and a chicken, which I enjoyed because I love animals (though I don't like to see them in captivity, so whatever was hiding in that little barn didn't please me as much).

On a negative note, I'm not sure I understand the religious connection, but it may have been wise for him to leave that information out, considering we were visiting from an academic institution. I recall feeling a bit peeved at going there on a school field trip, so I'm glad he didn't go much into detail. The fact is, all people and all creeds are involved with nature, and I don't think one has anything to do with the other. Perhaps that is a result of my strong disbelief in creationism.

I just think nature is there for everyone to enjoy and protect, and I don't think a place like this should alienate a group of people by tying it to a particular religion. I think their message is valuable to everyone, but not everyone will be prone to touring this place, unfortunately, as a result of its religous connotation. I know I wouldn't have gone there if I didn't have to as a result of school, because I am not a member of their status group. Hopefully, others disagree, because what they are doing is for the good of all people, not just Christians.

No comments:

Post a Comment