Thursday, April 26, 2012

Entry # 7 Mantanzas Pass Preserve

I thought this place was interesting. I loved the vibe of being in this little, old cottage. It truly brought me back in time to summers spent in similar little places near the beach. The woman was extremely knowledgable on Fort Myers Beach geography and history. I thought it was sweet that they offered us lemonade and cookies, and especially the homemade jelly with crackers. It was a very pleasant environment, and I found the conversation to be interesting, as far as the history of this beautiful area. She spoke about the effect hurricanes have had on the island, as well as industry. We heard about some of the nature, including the use of oysters to clean up the water surrounding Fort Myers Beach, which I loved! I also really liked the red bird she showed us photographs of. I haven't seen anything like that, and am always impressed by the large birds in this area.

The nature walk wasn't necessarily anything to speak of, as we have continued to see some amazing Florida landscapes this semester. This was no different, in my opinion. I always enjoy a nature walk, however, so it was a welcomed escape, nevertheless. I did hope to see more beach, but I will have to settle for the Lani Kai, I suppose. I think I can live with that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment